OSMO Oil Stain
Transparent or intensive coloured base coat for all wooden floors and furniture. Osmo Oil Stain requires a clear top coat of Osmo Polyx®-Oil for protection. Ideal as a coloured base coat for all wooden floors, such as solid wood, plank, strip, OSB and cork flooring, as well as stairs and furniture surfaces.
- Based on natural plant oils
- Water-repellent and dirt-resistant
- Fast drying and curing with added hardener
- Use with or without the hardener
- Very durable and hard wearing
- 1 coat transparent, 2 coats opaque/intensive
- Available in 10 colour tones
- Suitable for all wood species including oily and resinous timbers such as Matai when the hardener is added
- Food safe once cured
- Extremely stain resistant
- Resistant to wine, cola, tea, coffee, water and fruit juices
- Microporous breathable finish which does not crack, peel or flake
- Spot repairs are easy. No need to sand the whole floor, or piece of furniture
- Easy to maintain with any plant-based soap such as Osmo's Wash and Care
- Suitable for children's toys, cots and bassinets
- Coverage: Approximately 30 square metres per litre per coat depending on timber density.
- No of coats: 1 or 2
- Application: Scraper, good quality brush, low nap (3-5mm) microfibre roller, lint-free cloth or an Osmo Easy Pad
- Drying time with hardener: 4 hours
- Drying time without hardener: 12 hours
- Sizes: 500ml, 1 litre and 2.5 litres
- Storage times: 5 years unopened, 1 year once opened
Osmo Oil stain is a professional product, as it must be applied with a scraper, brush or roller, then buffed with a single disc machine. It is a transparent (one coat) or intensive (2 coats) finish, which requires a top coat of Polyx®-Oil. The image below is of 3514 Graphite, showing the transparent and intensive effect.
Where Osmo's Oil Stain is being applied in commercial situations such as shops, cafes and restaurants etc, Osmo recommend adding a 60ml bottle of Osmo Oil Stain Hardener to a 1 litre can of Oil Stain. This will reduce the drying time from 12 hours to about 4 hours, and means two coats of stain and one top coat can be applied in one day.
Available in Australia in 10 colour tones.
An intensive white surface is not recommended for flooring because it is more sensitive and prone to natural yellowing. As a top coat for such surfaces, the pigmented Polyx®-Oils 3040 or3240 (White transparent) is recommended.
Similarly, when using colour tone 3519 Natural, it is recommended for light coloured timbers only, where the finished wood will look natural. Use on red or darker timbers such as eucalyptus saligna, rimu and jarrah etc will result in a chalky appearance.
Coverage is approximately 30 -45 square metres per litre per coat, based on smooth, dressed timber surfaces. Coverage will be less on textures surfaces.
A trial is always recommended first to determine suitability.